Friday, May 24, 2013

Some Gave All- Memorial Day

Memorial Day is this weekend! I caught myself getting excited about the extra day off that I get. I've been texting my friends this week asking them what their plans were, arranging beach BBQs and bonfires. While scrolling down my facebook today, something caught my eye posted by a friend with a husband in 3/5.

"I hope civilians find more solace in memorial day than I do. Many seem to forget why it exists in the first place, and spend the time looking for good sales or drinking beers on the back porch. It's a long weekend, not a period of personal reflection. At the same time, many incorrectly thank Vets or active duty folks for their service. While appreciated, its misdirected. That's what veterans day is for. Instead, they should take some time and remember the spirit of the country and the dedication of those men and women who chose to pick up arms. They never came home to be thanked, and only their memory remains."

I thought this was beautifully written without sounding too condescending or harsh, since people get offended so easily nowadays. It is my absolute pet peeve when people thank active duty military on Memorial day though. Get a clue! It is so disrespectful. I'm so thankful for those that have laid down their lives and paid the ultimate sacrifice. God bless our Military! My thoughts are with the family and friends of those who are not with us to be acknowledged on Monday for their service. I am so proud to be an American. Because of the price that was paid, I can spend my weekend with my friends and family enjoying the things I love. Thank you.

"Freedom is not free"



No comments:

Post a Comment