Saturday, May 18, 2013

Today my tolerance level was at an all time low. Maybe it's from working too much, or life just taking its toll! I came home and every little thing my hubby was doing... or not doing, got on my nerves! His laundry I had spent time folding was all over the floor, his breakfast dishes were still on the table, and  his uniforms that I had recently ironed were hanging over our dining room table chairs with new wrinkles. When I came though the door, a list of expletives began to build in my head. That ******! But then he peaked around the corner with his handsome smile, and my heart just... melted. And all the great things I love about him came flooding into my mind. That time he drove an hour to meet me for lunch when I was in nursing school, when he hid a pair of diamond earrings for me to find in my scuba gear bag. When he comes home from work and brings me in flowers he picked from outside. Sometimes the people who are closest to us in our lives can drive us crazy! If we forget to stop and think about the good when the bad happens, thats when it can get ugly. My best friend and maid of honor had this splendid idea for couples to list marriage advice for us to read at our engagement party. Here are some of my favorites! The recipe for a happy marriage: 

  • Start each day with gratitude and compassion for each other. Give more than you think the other needs. Trust, respect and appreciate each other. Say "i love you" and "thank you" every day. 
  • Hold hands every chance you get.
  • Have hobbies together!
  • Don't direct statements in an arguments with "you" accusations. Instead use, "i feel like" 
  • Go to sleep at the same time together.
  • Learn how to be a good forgiver.
  • Never argue in your bed room. The bed is for sleeping and for sex only.
  • Make one night a week date night. Invest in you as a couple.
  • Allow each other to have your space and to pursue your own passions 
  • Don't put yourself in places that could get you into trouble.  
  • Be careful with who you vent about your spouse to.  You need someone who will be able to forgive his/her flaws and not remind you of them ever time you talk.  
  • Marriage isn't a 50/50 deal. It's 100/100. 
  • Marriage is not a noun; it's a verb. It isn't something you get. It's something you do. It's the way you love your partner every day.
  • 1. Alyssa is always right.
  • 2. If you think your right, refer back to #1. 
lol Just kidding about that last one. But someone really did write that. 



1 comment:

  1. Well....you are always right! And Travis knows that ;)

    ReplyDelete